101 Clever D&D Traps and Trap IdeasWritten by Expy - Published on August 11, 2010
Looking for ideas for some Dungeons and Dragons traps your players will love? We’re compiling a list of 101 clever D&D trap ideas right here and we need your help! Give us your best creative, clever, evil and downright diabolical trap ideas and we’ll compile them all right here in this post as well as enter them all in our shared D&D traps tool (over 40 are available right now for members).
What Makes a Good D&D Trap?
Great traps build up tension just before the trap springs. They create action as the character tries to escape. They are difficult and require a creative solution to escape without bringing the game to a grinding halt. Instead, they make sense in moving the adventure forward.
How to Post Your Trap Idea
Simply post a comment at the bottom of this post. You can either simply post a description or use the format below:
Additional Skills DC:
Additional Skills Success:
Lets Get It Started with the First Trap Idea Straight from the DM Tools
Trap Idea #1: Raging Silver Fire
- Level 15 Lurker – XP 850
- A glowing circle of runes on the ground tempts the victim. Unfortunately, when activated, only being INSIDE the circle protects one from the ensuing blast. A raging inferno of Silver Fire erupts in the room, damaging all occupants not inside the glowing cirlce of runes.
- DC 10: Notice the glowing blue runes in a circle on the floor.
- DC 25: Recognize the runes as a protective ward.
- DC 30: Sense the perimeter of the room is beginning to flare up.
- DC 15: If attempting to vault into protective circle, chance on making it before ward activates.
- Trigger: Within 15 seconds of entering the room.
- Attack: standard•Area of effect + 15 vs. Endurance
- Hit: 2d10+10 initial fire damage and has a (25% – Level of magic item) chance of detonating item, causing item level x 10 damage.
- Aftereffect: 1d10 ongoing fire damage until save ends.
- Miss: 1d10 fire damage.
- Countermeasure: Stepping into protective circle of runes.