D&D online tools update and 4th edition errata

Written by Expy - Published on July 25, 2008

Online tools update

I must say I’m curious about the upcoming online tools like the D&D Game Table. Some folks would replace the word “curious” with “pessimistic” but I guess we can’t really judge before we see. The fact that’s the tools are late already is either good (they don’t want to show a half-finished project) or bad (well, they’re behind schedule).

Anyhow, my sources say not to expect any major announcement for at least another month.

Expy the red dragon

Expy the Red Dragon says:
No matter how much you work
you can’t make a digital red dragon
as fearsome as a live one.
So come on! Give us a game table already!

One can only do so much playtesting

The ever vigilant Critical Hits crew had a few comments on the First Major Round of Errata for D&D4E. It’s the proof that you can’t work all the kinks in a closed environment. (All the programmers know that a product only is perfect if nobody uses it!)

Here’s the link to WOTC’s update page.

Interviews page revamped

I gave Dungeon Mastering’s interviews page a makeover. I plan on adding interviews in the neat future. In the meantime, I sugges you read the very entertaining interview with Johnn Four
of Roleplaying Tips dot com

Comments

11 Responses to “D&D online tools update and 4th edition errata”

Oops. I just proofread this. It’s tyop centarl! I’ll fix it tomorrow. It’s too late right now

2. Hey, that would put me squarely in the pessimistic camp with my Open Letter to Wizards right?

While I want to be the first to eat my socks publicly on this, their track record (trust me on that one) does not bode well for the future.

Trask also has a good insight on the Digital Initiative, seems it was imposed/pushed strongly by Hasbro on WotC.

I should comment more often here…. :)

3. Kurtis says:

As far as “online” tools for 4e, Don’t expect any major “likable” changes. I have a laptop that I use where ever I go, to help me access my “tools” for gaming, and Creating a Campaign. I can’t see WOTC comming out extrodinary tools. Hey even there 4e core books are not all that much of an “extrodinary likable changes” type of books. Yes they did all right, but I am not easily impressed. I have 70 3.5e books scanned onto my laptop (and yes Yax, I have them all backed up incase of explosion) I like the ability to use my god given brains to create a campaign that the players “feel” that they are a part of, not just playing a game. Even if I am 40 years old and enjoying bieng a “big kid” according to my wife, I look forward to good changes with the online tools from WOTC, but I’m not going to hold my breath (to old to wait to long anyway).

What’s up Chatty! You should indeed comment here more often (and me on your blog!)

5. Kili says:

Yax on July 25th, 2008 at 12:42 pm:
    “You know, one thing WILL happen with the online tools. The open source commnuity will work at matching, then out-performing the WotC softwares. All-in-all, we’re winners.”

Yax, you are also hoping that Hasbro/WotC don’t squash any open source projects right?

Yeah. Good point. From what I understand the 4e OGL is restrictive.

I still trust the code-geeks outher

7. Kurtis says:

Um, before you get to excited I just found out that if any 3rd party programmers wish to develop “tools” for the 4e they may, however any tools for prior edditions must be removed from said web sites. Wizards has released the SRD and GSL license for its 4th edition core rulebooks. Because this license does not mention fansites (and hence could be interpreted as not allowing fansites at all), in addtion to the stipulations that if you convert content to 4th edition you must cease creating 3rd edition content. Not so exciting if your fan base wishes to continue with 3.5 material.

8. Mike The Merciless says:

I’m putting the odds of Wizards actually completing and releasing their Online Tools as promised at 15 to 1. I don’t know what’s going on over there at Renton, but it doesn’t look too good. Kurtis’s news about 3rd Party use and production is another strike against Wizards judgment and competence. Writing games is one thing; writing software is something else.

9. Kili says:

Honestly, it sounds like Hasbro is starting to do to DnD what it did to Rune Quest (the original, not d20) when it aquired Avalon Hill.

10. Soda Bob says:

Regarding the online tools that Wizards is working on, given the fiasco that was e-tools…

a. I’ll believe it when I see it – with the delay, it’s already on course for e-tools’ fate.
    b. I’ll believe it will be good when I see it – with the delay, it’s already on course for e-tools’ fate.
    c. I’ll likely continue using the excellent and free MapTool program (rptools.net) for online play, instead of dropping the $15/month on D&D Game Table.

Just my $0.02

11. Kurtis says:

I think some one should read garfield to Hasbro.

“Everytime I think I hit bottom, some one throws in a damn shovel.” -Garfield