Dungeon Mastering has a new look

Written by Expy - Published on November 11, 2009

What it means for you, the reader

The current change in the design is the last step we took to get away from unwanted ads – we want to help you have more fun gaming, not spam you. We don’t want to bombard you with random ads. We still have to pay bills, so you will see some ads on the site, but the only ads you will see on Dungeon Mastering from now on are for companies we trust and love, and products we stand behind. We now keep Dungeon Mastering going through sales of our own games on Expy Games as well as sales of D&D books through Amazon (we get a commission if you buy after clicking the D&D books ads in the sidebar).

More options

We try to keep things simple but a lot of you emailed us to say that navigation on the old site was clumsy, too simple. So we added tabbed menus in the sidebar which will let us add more navigation options if they become needed.

What do you think?

That’s the gist of it. Are you missing links or tabs you used often? Do you like the new look? Does it seem more or less cluttered than the old site?

Comments

20 Responses to “Dungeon Mastering has a new look”
  1. Jenny says:

Too funny. I was just working on our website, having scrapped the old design for something that looks… a lot like this. Maybe it’s spring cleaning, fall “entirely redesign the site”, in accordance with daylight savings or something.

I have a tendency to do this every 6 months. I always make sure I have a measurable goal in mind though

3. Liking the new look, feels a lot less cluttered.

4. Bartoneus says:

Every 6 months? It used to happen once a week! :D I like the cleaned up look of the right sidebar, good stuff!

5. Johnn says:

Great new look!

6. Xaviera says:

Gonna take some getting used to – but I think I like it!

(Is it just me, or do those little boxes next to “Most Popular” and “Staff Picks” look like checkboxes / form elements?)

Thanks everyone.

@Xaviera yes they do. Makes you want to “click”, doesn’t it?

8. Pharen says:

I like most of it, clean white background, soft borders, but the logo really stays behind. The quite “hard” (two wide seperated colors with a small zone to “gradient” in) gradient in combination with the black border doesn’t really make it seem professional.

Don’t get me wrong though, exept from the logo-text I really like the way it’s easy to read. I’m a fan of the fancy pull-out avatar part too.

9. Eoghan Fallon says:

Much easier to navigate and everything looks very solid.

Cheers Yax!

@Pharen: thanks for the constructive criticism

11. Francois B says:

nice work yax, looks good!

12. AlphaDean says:

Yeah nice work Yax on the new look and the ease of use ….thanx Yax

Thanks AlphaDean – I appreciate it coming from a long time reader.

14. Eddie says:

i like it but what hapened to dming videos

@Eddie: Video DM is now defunct – we pulled the plug.

16. DandDGuy says:

I like the New look YAX I have not checked the Site in a week or soo because of the NOR EASTER Down Hear in VA it blew through and I have not been able to get on until now.

17. Noumenon says:

It was a good idea to post this because it made me notice that you got rid of that thing covering the bottom of my screen on purpose, rather than just forgetting it ever existed. I could never page down because that thing would cover up the last line of text and make me miss it…

18. Eddie says:

why did you pull the plug. alot of people liked it( me being 1)

Hi Eddie,

Our stats showed that “a lot” of people was about 15 per day. It did not get the traction we thought it would. We are thinking of doing video on the main site every now and then.

20. Nicholas says:

Hey Eddie,

Now that I’m in Washington hanging out with some of the WotC guys I hope to set up some video interviews. The video stuff is going to become part of the main blog.