By - July 16, 2008 - 21 Comments

Dungeon Mastering is 1 year old!

Some thoughts on RPGs

It’s been 1 year since I launched the site. Already! I have explored the depths of the gaming webosphere. Of all the things I have read about roleplaying games, one of the most interesting arrived in my inbox yesterday.

Spontaneous creativity vs. creative hard-work

I thought that this was very well articulated and I whole-heartedly agree with it, but I’m not a hardcore computer gamer, so any feedback on this is more than welcome:

From reader Labareda:

What I really enjoy about your site and the other associated “DM” blogs (im sure your all in cahoots) is that it’s really creative. [...]

I feel that the great strength of role playing games is natural spontaneous creativity.

To compare RPGs with computer games both of which are fun; In a computer game you can be clever (powergamers and munchkins) and to some degree creative. However creativity on computers is something you craft over time, with appropriate tools (level builders, coding, graphics packages etc….) Some of these tools require you to be a professional user and can take months to years, possibly with a team of people working on it. To say nothing of the money involved.

RPGs allow you to have fun with friends (old, new, soon to be friends) and to be creative. The DM or the players can all be creative all the time. Your blog extends and develops that creativity. Your bling posts and the Pimp my character series etc etc allow us to all to be creative.

Spontaneous 1 year anniversary celebration

It seemed fitting to write about something a reader e-mailed me for my 1 year celebration post because all the best articles on Dungeon Mastering started with reader feedback (or girlfriend feedback). I’m way too cut-to-the-chase-and-show-me-results sometimes and it shows in my writing. On the other hand, when I feel that I’m builiding on a community idea or request, then I get the extra motivation to make memorable articles.

So thanks everyone! Keep reading, emailing, and commenting. I love all of you and hopefully I’ll meet a lot of you at Gencon.

Thanks!

Leave a comment (21 comments so far) »

1. Noctambulist says:

Congratz on the one year anniversary! Of course, that’s probably only like 1 day in Red Dragon years.

2. Alphadean says:

Congratz Yax. I won’t call myself a hardcore computer gamer, but I’ve done my fair share. Over all I’n PnP guy who dabbles frequently in the realm of computer gaming. Creativity on computer game is finding the best way to expliot said game if that it is at all possible. The beauty of table top gaming is that exploitation can happen but only in the complete harmony of the entire group. The creative side is on the other hand a must. Gamers and DM’s alike have to come to some common understandings and there is a give and take.
    From house rules to (a thing I’ve done for years) write me background story for you character, not as big as your pimp my character but similar. I may actually start a character pimpinf session before we start our next game. So thanx again for all the awesome ideas and great resources

3. Dave T. Game says:

Here’s to many more!

(You can celebrate by buying me a drink at GenCon!)

4. Happy Blogiversary! I can only hope I’m as popular as you when I’m a year old! Congrats!

5. Pé0 says:

You won’t get another gift from me. I see through your games and it ain’t working…

6. May this be but the first of many years to come. Congratulations.

7. Ethan says:

I just started posting a couple of days ago thanks to my big brother, and I’ve got loads of awesome ideas, and i have had a lot of fun. I cant imagine how awesome a whole year has been.

Thanks

8. ScottM says:

Happy first year. Only 800 years more to go, right?

Thanks!

@Noctambulist: You’re right, Expy isn’t phased by a one year anniversary. He will have some pretty big news for us just before or after GenCon. He’s been hard at work – he calls it hoarding mode!

@Dave: I’m buying everyone drinks at GenCon!

@Ethan: Good to have you on board. Keep posting and let me know if you’d like to see something covered.

10. Ravyn says:

Congratulations on the first year! I’ve only just found this place, but I think I like it here, and I look forward to seeing what else pops up.

11. Labareda says:

Grats lolzzzz!!!

My ego is a 3.5e cleavin barbarian faced by 4e minions.

12. koranes says:

Gratz!! Well, you just won another regular reader :-)

13. LEONIDOS says:

happy 1st anniversary

14. stupidranger says:

Congratulations!! You’re still one of my daily reads!

15. Kurtis says:

As a 20+ year experianced Game Master, I am impressed by your ability to use the “table” of players to the advantage of the game. It is with the best of thoughts that you have many enduring campaigns to come. Happy first Birthday.

16. Sandrinnad says:

congrats on a year!

it’s only been a year? It seems like you’ve always been here…. :)

17. AvatarArt says:

Everyone took the funny comments, so from all of us @ AvatarArt, “Happy Birthday guys.”

18. AvatarArt says:

p.s. we bribed Expy to take a break from ‘hoarding mode’ long enough for us to get a pose

I just got the “pose”. I’ll have to post it to the site because it’s just too awesome.

1. [... Some thoughts on RPGs It's been 1 year since I launched the site. Already! I have explored the depths of the gaming webosphere. Of all the things I ...]