Interview with a red dragon

Written by Expy - Published on September 19, 2008

D&D Insider presents: Monsters of 4th edition “The Red Dragon”

You will hear Expy’s name in that interview with a red dragon!

» Watch the interview with a red dragon!

This is the 3rd installment (edit: it’s the 4th – see below) in the “On the set of 4th edition” series.  Here are the first 2 interviews:

The tiefling and the gnome

The beholder

EDIT: apparently I missed the mind flayer interview!

Comments

15 Responses to “Interview with a red dragon”
  1. Russell says:

A guy is online telling his friends or blogging about what he doesn’t like the new system and the dragon craps on him. I guess we now know what WotC REALLY thinks bout those of us who prefer the older system.

2. Kerry says:

There’s one with a mindflayer, too. I’ve got it bookmarked at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17fCLP30E84

3. DnDCorner says:

Great stuff! I would like to see more of these vids coming from WOTC (or from anyone else for that matter).

4. Dungeon Scout says:

I can’t believe that I almost missed the Expy reference.

5. Kane says:

I have warned my group of players, beware of Francis the minion!!!

6. Ryan Reid says:

I agree with Russ, that is the first think I thought of when I saw this toon; WoTC could careless what we think of their new system. Either way, the toon was fun.

Side note, I played my first 4e game last night and enjoyed it. I’m playing a Dragonborn Pally. As far as this system speeding up combat, I would disagree, at least for the group I played with. But one session isn’t a good gauge either.

7. AvatarArt says:

Thread about whether the Red Dragon interview is insulting or not:

As for my take:
    Mind Flayer Interview- Very funny.
    Beholder Interview- Tried to be cool, wasn’t. I get the logic of toning down its effects though.
    Tiefling/Gnome Interview- I like Gnomes, so hey. Tieflings now a lot more common is wacky.
    Red Dragon Interview- WotC had a laugh, but I saw a ‘FU’ to those who have complaints.

8. Russell says:

I’ve played more than a couple of 4E games now. About half a dozen Keep on the Shadowfell games (until the group fell apart due to work and school schedules) and a couple of RPGA/LFR events. Combat has slowed waaayy down. It seems everyone can take 3-4 actions as opposed to 2, maybe 3. The game doesn’t flow as well as it used to.

I partially credit that to it being a new game, but not entirely since the guys I play the LFR events with play 4e at least 3 times a week.

Another concern is the sheer volume of errata WotC is already having to put out. Apparently they didn’t playtest enough. As a side note, Paizo is playtesting Pathfinder for a year by letting regular people, meaning US, play the game at a cheaper price.) Not a perfect system but it seems to be working.

9. Ben says:

I love how WOTC fanboys were depicted as kobolds worshiping the red dragon.

10. Russell says:

Man, how did I miss that? LOL

11. Drew says:

Sweet video. Slams the Trolls and the fanboys equally. Gotta love that.

12. vdgmprgrmr says:

I’ve always wondered if Expy’s name came from the term “XP” that’s tossed about all the time.

Is it?

If it is, I haven’t been missing out on a long-running joke, have I?

Yep, that’s exactly where it comes from.

14. Russell says:

Don’t feel bad. I didn’t get the reference either. LOL@myself.