Instant Campaign Builder Part VI: Hype
This article is part of the Instant Campaign Builder Project.
Most great events are preceded by an insane amount of publicity, which sometimes generates anticipation. I believe the Saturday morning D&D session can benefit from fabricated buzz and hype.
How to generate hype
- Constantly remind your players the game is coming up. If the DM is so obsessed with the campaign it has to be great!
- Leak information. Give your players information about the campaign inadvertantly. It’s like meta-foreshadowing.
- Create characters. StupidRanger’s better characters article is worth a look.
- Ask the players what they want and include it in the campaign.
- Prepare opening credits for the campaign.
Watch and learn
If you feel your game isn’t highly anticipated, watch sports news or entertainment gossip tv programs and observe how they generate buzz from nothing.
The danger zone
When purposefully generating hype you have to keep in mind that the expectations will be higher so you need to come up with a great campaign. If you follow the tips of the Instant Campaign Builder you should be alright.