Looks like I’m going to have a special PC cameo during my next game. A good friend of mine who has never played an RPG has recently shown interest. So what will I focus on for that special occasion?
- Make him understand the DM gets free pizza, chips, and salsa.
- Let him roll a character – it’s much more fun than having him play a pre-made NPC.
- Ask for my regular players’ collaboration. I’ll get their opinion on what kind of situation could lead their characters to teaming up with a total stranger. I just want to avoid the “we’ll team upbut only because he’s a PC” problem.
- Encourage coolness. If the new player wants to bull rush a monster with his shield, I’ll encourage him.
- Use simple mechanics. I’ll explain the rules and he’ll be rolling his own dice, but I’ll make the experience as smooth as possible by handling all complex mechanics.
What do you do when you have the responsability of representing the RPG hobby and introduce a new player to the game?